CLiPS: Computational Linguistics Projects at Stanford
Are you a student at Stanford and interested in working on a project in NLP? Then this page is for you! Submit an application to become a member of Stanford's NLP group. Your application will help us to match you with members who have similar interests to ensure a smooth start to your NLP research path at Stanford. In addition to your work on a project, you will also be able to participate in the NLP group's weekly lab meetings, where members and invited speakers present their current research projects in NLP. Applications are reviewed before each quarter. The next deadline for submission is September 8, 2020, 11:59 pm Pacific.
Tips for your application
- Start early. This application consists of two sections which also include open questions that might require some additional reading and/or development of new ideas. This can take time.
- Have a look at our papers. The better you know about the kind of research members are currently doing, the easier it becomes for us to match you with projects you will most benefit from. This step will also help students with little prior experience in NLP to develop ideas for projects, which we are very interested to hear about in your application. You can see a list of Stanford NLP group publications here.
- What makes a good applicant? The NLP group provides space for (aspiring) researchers with diverse backgrounds. Whether you have just started working on NLP-related class projects, have already conducted your own NLP research, or have experience in a different field and would like to reach out to this community – this application is meant for everyone. Share your own unique path and we will try our best to find a good match for you!
Please keep in mind that this application is meant to match you with members of the NLP group for research purposes. However, we only have a limited number of openings each quarter. If we can't accept your application in one quarter, it might simply be due to a lack of openings in the area you're interested in. We always accept re-applications in following quarters.
To the application
- I can't access the application form. Access to the application form is restricted to Stanford affiliates. If you're a Stanford affiliate and want to access the form, you need to be logged into your Stanford account on Google. Open a new tab and make sure that you're logged in through your Stanford account and not for instance your Gmail account. If switching accounts does not help, try logging out of all other accounts and try again.
- When is the deadline? Applications are reviewed before each quarter. We accept applications until the end of the day of the deadline anywhere in the world. The date of the next deadline is announced above and gets updated regularly.
- When will I hear back? You can expect to hear back from us before the end of the first week of the quarter.
Any questions or concerns? Contact us at